Many jurisdictions require skilled research be conducted to check prospective employees’ records.
For the most part, employers would prefer to hire individuals who have no criminal histories. This goes beyond character evaluations – it can be a costly liability to the enterprise if an employee prone to crime victimizes a fellow employee, a vendor or a customer. The employer needs to demonstrate that all efforts were made to ensure a safe place of business.
Fortunately, most criminal records can be accessed in the interest of public safety.
In a similar vein, it is useful for an employer to know if a prospective employee has a propensity to be involved in civil litigation. If the individual has been party to multiple lawsuits with employers, other businesses or organizations, or individuals, the nature and frequency of those suits should be taken into consideration.
You can engage a background screening company to pursue public records of these incidents. Following are the primary areas where such checks should be made:
- County Criminal - Recovers an applicant’s criminal history, including misdemeanor and felony convictions, on a county level.
- Statewide Criminal - A search run through the State Criminal Repository.
- Federal Criminal - A search run through the U.S. District Courts to obtain information for crimes committed on a federal level.
- Civil Record - Reports information on disputes between individuals or organizations.
- Federal Civil - Searches civil cases tried on a Federal level.
- National Criminal Index Plus - A nationwide search using hundreds of sources including criminal data and sex offender registries.
Note that under the rules of the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FRCA), which covers criminal records as well as financial histories, there is no statute of limitations on criminal convictions. In cases where the employee may be required to operate a motor vehicle, driving records can be checked as well.
If you have questions regarding employee background screening and criminal history searches or would like more information, please call us at 1-800-690-4362 or fill out the form below to be contacted by one of our knowledgeable and friendly Background Screening Consultants.
Contact Us About Criminal History Searches